Classic s’mores on a donut! Rich chocolate baked donuts are topped with creamy marshmallow frosting, sprinkled with graham crackers, and drizzled with melted chocolate ganache. It tastes just like a perfect summer evening feels! Made gluten free and vegan, these donuts are the perfect dessert of the end of summer.
What is your favorite part of a s’more? The crunchy graham cracker? The melted chocolate? The ooey gooey marshmallow? No matter what part you love, it is all included in this gluten free and vegan s’mores donut!
Free From: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks, celery, corn, sesame, mustard, lupin, sulfites, and more
What are S’mores Donuts?
A good s’more is broken down into a few essential parts and then transposed onto a donut. It is one of my absolute favorite flavor combinations in the summertime. Here is how we break it out onto the donut.
- Chocolate Donut. This donut is baked in the oven to make things a bit healthier. I used my new favorite cake mix that is gluten free and vegan and top 8 allergy free! You can purchase Kate’s Safe and Sweet mix here. If you want to make them from scratch, here is my recipe for my chocolate gluten free vegan donuts. Either way, you end up with a dang delicious donut base.
- Marshmallow Frosting. Mix together either marshmallow fluff or melted vegan marshmallows with a bit of powdered sugar and a splash of (non-dairy) milk to get just the right consistency for topping the donuts! This creamy frosting is so good, you’ll want to eat it out of the bowl.
- Graham cracker sprinkles. Take a few gluten free graham crackers and crumble them into the perfect crunchy sprinkle for the donuts.
- Chocolate ganache. Every good s’more has a ton of melted ooey gooey chocolate. Turn it into a drizzle for the donut tops and it is literally the icing on the top! So good!
How to Assemble S’mores Donuts
This recipe makes 12 donuts and 5 cupcakes or between 15-18 donuts depending on how many donuts you want!
Begin by making the chocolate cake mix according to directions. This time, in place of a cake pan or cupcake pan, use a lightly greased donut baking pan. Fill the donuts about half way so you have room for a nice rise. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove and let cool completely.
In the meantime, mix up your marshmallow frosting. Use equal parts marshmallows and powdered sugar (I made about ¾ cup of each for these donuts). Mix it together! If you are struggling to combine them, add a splash of (non-dairy) milk to help them combine. You are looking for a consistency of thin yogurt, perfect for dunking!
Make the chocolate ganache by melting about ⅓ cup of chocolate with a spoonful of (non-dairy) milk in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Mix it up until it reaches the perfect drizzle.
To make your s’mores donut, start by gently dunking the top of the donut into the marshmallow frosting. You can also take a spoonful of the frosting and pour it onto the donut top. Either way, you want to make sure the donut is evenly coated!
While the frosting is still wet, sprinkle with your crushed graham crackers. Let it dry for a few minutes and then gently drizzle your chocolate on top.
Looking for other Summer time recipes? Check these out!
Allergy Variations for a S’mores Donut
Gluten Free: These donuts are gluten free in the recipe, but if you are not avoiding wheat or gluten, feel free to swap out for any chocolate cake mix you like.
Dairy Free: Use your choice of plant based milk. I like baking with rice or oat milk for the best results.
Egg Free: If avoiding eggs, make sure to use vegan marshmallows as most marshmallow fluff found in grocery stores contains eggs.
Soy Free: If avoiding soy, make sure your marshmallows are soy free as most vegan marshmallows contain soy.
Best Marshmallow to Use: I love using Dandies or Campfire marshmallows for their allergy safety standards!
Enjoy your s’mores donuts!
- 1 chocolate cake mix of choice, prepared according to directions
- ½ cup marshmallows
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup crushed graham crackers
- ⅓ non-dairy milk, optional to get right consistency
- Prepare the chocolate cake according to directions. Place the dough into a lightly greased donut pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- While the donuts cool, prepare the marshmallow frosting, graham cracker crumbs, and chocolate ganache. Place the marshmallows and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl and using a spoon, mix to combine. Add milk as needed to help it combine into a spreadable consistency. Crumble your graham crackers in a bag. Melt your chocolate with a splash of milk in a microwave safe bowl for 45 seconds. Mix well. Set all aside until ready to use.
- To assemble to donuts, dip one donut top into the marshmallow frosting, or drizzle a spoonful of frosting over each donut. Make sure to evenly coat each donut. While the frosting it still wet, sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs so they stick. Wait a few minutes to allow the marshmallow frosting to set, then drizzle on the chocolate ganache with a spoon. Enjoy!