Delicious summer street corn salad with avocado is perfect for summer when the corn is sweet! Easy to make and top 14 allergy free.
This corn salad is inspired by Mexican street corn, or elote. Elote is grilled corn on the cob covered in cotija cheese and a sour cream/mayo sauce. While living in Los Angeles I got to try some from food trucks and let me tell you they are like little bites of heaven. So good!
This summer salad is inspired by the flavor combinations of that dish, but transformed into a side dish that would be perfect at any potluck or BBQ.
You can serve this warm or cold.
Free from: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, soy, sesame, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, celery, and more
- Corn – fresh or frozen work great in this! Just make sure to cook the fresh corn before mixing in this salad
- Red onion
- Lime juice
- White Sugar
- Garlic cloves
- Cotija cheese
- Spices: paprika and chili powder
- Jalapeno (optional)
If you can’t find cotija cheese, you can swap out feta cheese.
To make it dairy free, swap out the crumbled cheese for either a dairy-free cheese of your choice, or omit entirely.
To make it egg free, use your favorite egg free mayo.
Cook your corn and remove it from the corn cobs if using fresh.
In a large bowl, mix together the mayo, lime juice, cilantro, sugar, garlic, and spices. Mix well until fully combined. Next, add in the cooked corn, and chopped tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and jalapeno. Finally, sprinkle cotija cheese on top and give it a final mix.
What to Serve With This
Obviously any tacos or quesadillas you make would go fantastic with this dish! I also love to serve it with any BBQ that I happen to do. Burgers, chicken, ribs, etc. make a great entree for this salad.
Or mix it up and use this as a dip next to the salsa and guacamole!
Other recipes you may love
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Mixing bowls and spoons
- Cooking pot for the stove
- 2 cups corn, cooked
- ½ red onion
- ½ juice of a lime
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp Mayo make sure it is your safe mayo
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup cotija cheese see note for swaps
- ¼ tsp paprika and chili powder optional
- 1 jalapeno, diced optional
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- In a pot on the stove, cook the corn until done.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayo, lime juice and zest, sugar, garlic, and spices. Mix well.
- Add the cooked corn, onion, japameno, tomatoes, avocado, and cheese. Mix and serve warm or chilled. This will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.