This gluten free vegan apple pie is loaded with flavor and is so simple to make! The perfect recipe to make your first gluten free vegan apple pie.
Sometimes, you need a hug. And sometimes, your tummy needs a hug. This super simple gluten free vegan apple pie is like a warm hug directly to your tummy.
This pie is filled with sweet, juicy apples, delicate crust that you don’t have to roll out, and a crumble topping that you won’t be able to resist! Plus, it is so easy to put together and doesn’t need any crazy ingredients.
This apple pie has been a family favorite for a while and it is always the one everyone argues over the last slice. At my last Thanksgiving party, I had family members playing “rock paper scissors” and the victor got to take home the last slice! Seriously, this pie is that good. Give this a test today and impress all your friends and family with your amazing skills!
What are the best apples to use in apple pie?
I like to use a mixture of apples so that it has several notes. Something sweet, something tart, and something to add extra crunch. The ones I always grab at the store are:
- Granny Smith – crisp and tart, these are a classic to include in pie
- Honeycrisp – Sweeter than a granny smith but still holds shape after baking
- Gala or Fuji – Nothing sweeter than these! A delicate apple that adds flavor without extra sugar.
But don’t feel like you have to mix things up to get a good pie! I’ve made this pie with just one type of apple and it still turns out amazing.
Can I freeze this apple pie?
Yup! Make the pie right up until the baking point and then pop it in the freezer. When baking from frozen, add about 10-15 minutes extra bake time.
How to store this gluten free vegan apple pie?
This gluten free vegan apple pie should keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
If you’ve never made a pie before, this one is perfect to try! The crust is so easy to combine and you don’t have to roll it out. Just press it in the pan and crumble the rest on top. The apple pie filling is a no-brainer; just peel, chop, and mix in sugar and cinnamon.
Need a good pie crust recipe? I got ya! Follow this for a simple allergy friendly pie crust recipe that is gluten free, vegan, soy free, sugar free, nut free, and still yummy! (seriously, it tastes good I promise)
Gluten Free Vegan Apple Pie
- 1 gluten free pie crust
- 7 apples, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter of choice, divided into half and one quarter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup flour of choice
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- dash salt and cloves
- Prep your gluten free pie crust. Let it rest in the fridge while you make the rest of the pie.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F / 177° C. Prepare a pie pan by lightly coating the pan in butter. This will prevent your gluten free pie crust from sticking to the pan. Set aside.
- Peel and chop your apples into desired size. Slices, chopped, and roughly chopped all work well. Place apples into a mixing bowl with 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and the remaining spices. Mix well to evenly coat apples.
- Chop 1/4 cup of butter and mix in with apples. Combine.
- Place your pie crust in your pie pan and using your hands, gently press the dough to evenly cover the entirity of your pan. Have the pie dough rise up the sides of the pan. Don't be too worried about this, it's supposed to look rustic. When finished, pour your apple mix into the pie pan.
- Melt your 1/4 cup of butter in the microwave (or on the stove top if you are feeling fancy).
- Now mix the flour, melted butter, and remaining cinnamon in a bowl. Combine until crumbly, like wet sand. Crumble this mix evenly over the apples.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy. Let rest and cool completely before eating.
Did you make this recipe?