Safe and delicious, this gluten free cookie dough ice cream is so easy to make as a summertime treat, or any time! Only a few simple ingredients are required and in less than an hour you have the best ice cream ever! Can be made with or without an ice cream maker!
Starting with a base of creamy vanilla ice cream, making your own gluten free cookie dough balls is a breeze. I like to make double the amount so there is some left over as a little snack!
What’s great about this recipe is that not only is it gluten free, it also is made with an egg free vanilla ice cream that also is free from all nuts and tree nuts – including no coconut! Perfect for people with allergies or sensitivities.
Free From: wheat, gluten, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks, celery, corn, sesame, mustard, lupin, sulfites, and more
Gluten Free Cookie Dough Ice Cream Tips
First, make sure that you microwave your flours. Don’t take any chances about getting sick from your ice cream. By zapping it in the microwave for a minute, you are killing off any germs that might be on the flours. Better safe than sorry!
Make sure that you use a gluten free flour mix that has NO xanthan gum in it. Gums of any kind are not safe to eat raw. If you can’t find a gluten free flour blend that is made without xanthan gum, I have a mini recipe for the flour inside this recipe.
Don’t add your cookie dough right away to your ice cream. I like to wait until about 5 minutes from being done to add mine. That way they are evenly incorporated into the ice cream and don’t all sink to the bottom.
When storing your cookie dough ice cream, keep it in an airtight container. If you leave it in the mixing bowl, it will crystalize and get freezer burned rather quickly.
How to Make Gluten Free Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Begin by making your ice cream. Get out your ice cream maker and follow your directions for making ice cream.
What’s that? You are like me and have lost that direction booklet somewhere along the way? No worries. Ice cream is pretty easy to make no matter what machine you have.
Make sure that your bowl is cold (pop it in the freezer the night before). Place the chilled bowl into the machine.
In a separate bowl, combine the milk, half and half, and the condensed milk. Add the vanilla and whisk until it is all combined. Pour into your machine. Turn it on. Let it stir for anywhere between 25 and 45 minutes (depending on the machine).
Ta da! Vanilla ice cream is accomplished!
Looking for more summer time recipes?
Okay, what if you don’t have an ice cream maker? You can still make this! Simply swap the half and half for whipping cream. Mix the condensed milk, milk, and whipping cream in a stand mixer and whip together for 3-5 minutes until light and creamy. Place in an airtight container and ta da! Vanilla ice cream.
To make the cookie dough balls (aka the best part about this recipe), begin by zapping your flours in the microwave for about one minute, or until the flour reads 165 on an instant read thermometer.
In a medium sized bowl, mix the flours, vanilla, sugar, salt, butter, and mini chocolate chips. Roll them into teeny tiny balls between your fingers and pop them in the freezer so they can chill while you make the ice cream.
When both the ice cream and cookie dough are ready, mix them together. Store in an airtight container in your freezer and leave it alone for at least 4 hours. Scoop and enjoy!
- 3 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup gum free gluten free flour 2 tablespoon white rice flour, 2 tablespoon brown rice flour, 2 tablespoon oat flour, 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 3 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 14 oz sweet condenced milk 1 can
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half and half if making without an ice cream maker, swap this out for an equal amount of whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
Gluten Free Cookie Dough
- Microwave your flour for one minute or until the flour reaches a temperature of 165°F with an instant read therometor.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter and the white sugar and brown sugar. Mix them well. Add the cooked flour, salt, vanilla, and mini chocolate chips. Combine. Taking small amounts, roll into balls between your fingers. Set onto a lined tray and set into the freezer to chill while you make the ice cream.
Vanilla Ice Cream
- If making in an ice cream maker: Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir. Pour into your chilled ice cream maker and make according to instructions. (This should churn for anywhere between 25 and 45 minutes depending on your unique maker). Five minutes before finished, add your cookie dough balls. Remove from the ice cream maker and transfer to an airtight container. Let chill for 2 hours minimum. Enjoy!
- If making without an ice cream maker: Combine all ingrediens in your stand mixer and whip on medium high for 3-5 minutes or until lighter in color and air has incorporated into the liquid. Pour into an air tight container. Add your cookie dough balls, stirring to make sure they are evenly distributed. Let chill for 1 hour, stir again to distribute the cookie dough, and place back in freezer for another hour. Enjoy!