A 45-minute chickpea and sweet potato sheet pan dinner perfect for healthy weeknight cooking and meatless Monday!
This vegan and gluten free chickpea and sweet potato sheet pan dinner is seasoned with a flavorful Indian inspired seasoning, roasted to a golden-brown perfection, and topped with a lemony hummus dressing.
Free From: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks, celery, corn, sesame, mustard, lupin, sulfites, and more
Have you ever been scrolling through Instagram and saw an amazing and colorful bowl of food and thought, “dude, that looks so good, but I don’t have the time/energy to make that?”. Friends, I have been there, and this recipe is not one of them.
I’m all about taking shortcuts in the kitchen when I can and thanks to pre-chopped salad and red cabbage, and pre-made hummus, this meal comes together in about 45 minutes flat. It’s beautiful to put on your plate and is so delicious and filling thanks to the combo of roasted and raw veggies. Plus, it’s vegan and gluten free! But you totally have the option to add feta cheese if you’re into that (which I sometimes am).
This vegan and gluten free chickpea and sweet potato sheet pan dinner is flavorful, healthy, and satisfying … so when it comes to weeknight cooking, I can’t ask for much more than that!
How to Make your Chickpea and Sweet Potato Sheet Pan Dinner
Like I said, the best part about this dinner is how EASY it is to throw together. I love using the short cuts of having bags of salad on hand to add to my meal and don’t take any longer to make than it takes me to cut it open. However, you are free to use fresh lettuce, chop all your own veggies, and take as long with this recipe as you like! I’m just sharing how I throw this meal together on a weeknight. Here is an overview of how it comes together (the full recipe is below):
Spice up your veggies. Chop up the sweet potatoes and cauliflower, throw in the chickpeas, and cover them in the Indian inspired marinade.
Roast. Pop that sheet pan in the oven. Bake until they are golden brown and delicious.
Make the Hummus dressing. This dressing is just 3 ingredients: store bought hummus, lemon juice, and water. Mix and thin to your desired consistency. The lemon juice just kicks up that hummus and brightens the entire meal.
Serve your Chickpea and Sweet Potato Sheet Pan meal! Top with some of your favorite things (mine are listed below), drizzle on some of that dressing, and dive in!
Vegan and Gluten Free Sheet Pan Dinner Topping Ideas
The nice thing about this dinner is that you can throw almost anything you have in your pantry and fridge onto this and it will be delicious. Here are my faves:
Rice and/or Quinoa. To really add oomph to this meal, serve it with a bed of rice and or quinoa. Going totally grain free? Cauliflower rice would be AMAZING in here! I just would omit the cauliflower from the roasted veggies if using cauliflower rice.
Shredded salad. This can be super simple and you just need to open up a bag of your fave mix.
Sliced cucumbers. The cool bites of cucumber pair perfectly with the roasted veggies.
Crumbled feta cheese. Optional but adds such a great flavor. Don’t add for the vegan version.
Cilantro. If you like cilantro, this could be a perfect addition!
I hope you give this Chickpea and Sweet Potato Sheet Pan Dinner a try soon! It’s made it’s way into my monthly rotation of meals for sure.
Veggie Spice Blend
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp date syrup can use honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp tumeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 4 small to medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup hummus
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- water, to desired consistency
- rice, quinoa, salad, red cabbage, feta cheese, cucumbers, carrots, red pepper, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F / 218°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop your sweet potatoes and cauliflower and place on your prepared baking sheet. Add your drained and rinsed chickpeas.
- Make your veggie spice blend. Add all ingredients listed to a bowl and mix well. Pour over the veggies on the sheet pan. Toss to coat all veggies, ensuring everything is evenly covered.
- Roast the veggies for 30 minutes, making sure to give everything a stir about half way through roasting. You'll know they are done when they are golden brown and crispy looking. Set aside.
- Make the hummus dressing. While the veggies are roasting, make your dressing. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. I don't have a specific formula here, just make the dressing as thick or thin as you like. You know what you like better than I do! Set aside.
- If you're serving with rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice, make this while the veggies are in the oven.
- Assemble! Pile the roasted veggies high over your bed of salad and grains. Top with cucumber, feta cheese, red onion, cilantro, or whatever you like. Drizzle the hummus dressing as desired. Enjoy!