Easy homemade gluten free and vegan bagels that are soft, chewy, and delicious! Make them big or mini sized. Top 14 allergen free.
You don’t need to miss out on enjoying a warm and chewy bagel if you are gluten free or vegan! Using this recipe, you can make full size or mini bagels that are perfect for breakfasts, lunch, or snack time.
Soft, chewy, and perfect when warm from the oven, these gluten free and vegan bagels are way easier to make than you think.
Free from: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, soy, fish, shellfish, soy, sesame, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, corn, celery, and more
How to Make Gluten Free and Vegan Bagels
Okay, so while this recipe isn’t super complicated, it does require a good afternoon to make them all. However, you’ll be rewarded with 8 full size or 15 mini sized soft and chewy bagels, which is well worth the afternoon if you ask me!
And not all of it will be working time. The bagels require a good hour to rise and about 30 minutes of bake time.
Start by getting out your stand mixer or a hand mixer and a large bowl. Into this bowl, place your warmed milk of choice (about 100F) with yeast and sugar. Mix and let rest for 10 minutes to allow the yeast time to bloom.
You’ll know the yeast is ready when it gets fluffy and foamy. If your yeast looks like it has done nothing in 10 minutes, your yeast is bad or the milk was warmed too hot. Try again.
After blooming the yeast, add in yogurt and mix well.
Now it’s time to add the dry ingredients. Add the salt, two types of gluten free flour, and baking powder to the wet ingredients.
Mix this well until a dough balls forms in the mixer.
On a well floured surface, scoop out dough and roll in your hands to get a ball. Using a finger, gently poke a hole through the dough ball and shape into a bagel.
Place bagel onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
For full size bagels, use about a third of a cup of dough per bagel. For mini bagels, use a rounded tablespoon per bagel.
Repeat until dough is gone.
Let dough rise for one hour.
Now it’s time for the bagels to get a bath! This is the secret step to giving them that chewy crust.
In a large pot on the stove, add 2 tablespoons of molasses to the water and bring to a boil. Gently lower 2-4 bagels into the pot, depending on the size of your pot, and making sure not to overcrowd the pot. Cook on each side for 45 seconds. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and top with toppings if desired.
As soon as possible, get the bagels into your pre-heated oven to begin baking. You should work fast enough so that you can still see the steam coming off the bagels as you move them into the oven!
Let bagels bake in the over for 25 minutes for mini bagels and 35 minutes for full size bagels. Bagels are done when they reach an internal temperature of 195F.
Allow bagels to cool and enjoy!!
Best Gluten Free Flour for Bagels
After making dozens and dozens of bagels, I find that the secret to the perfect fluffy and chewy bagel is the flour blend. What you want to do is combine a flour blend that does NOT contain potato flour/starch with a flour blend that DOES contain potato flour/starch.
This magic combo of potato/no-potato is what gives it the best chew. When you only use a gluten free flour blend that contains potato, it will always come out more dense and gummy like in texture.
When you only use a flour blend that does not have potato, it won’t have the right chew.
Again, the magic is in the mix!
My personal favorite flours to use for this are:
Potato Free: My gluten free flour blend, Krusteaz Gluten Free
With Potato: Pamela’s Artisan Blend, Better Batter
Flavor Ideas for Gluten Free and Vegan Bagels
This dough is perfect for transforming into your favorite bagel variety. Here are some ideas to get you started!
- Salted – sprinkle with coarse sea salt before baking
- Everything – sprinkle with everything seasoning before baking
- Blueberry – Fold ½ cup frozen blueberries into dough while making
- Cinnamon Raisin – fold ½ tsp cinnamon and ¼ cup raisins into dough while making
- Chocolate Chip – fold ½ cup mini chocolate chips into dough while making
- Pizza Bagels – make plain bagels and use as base for pizza
How to Store Gluten Free and Vegan Bagels
These bagels will keep on the countertop in a bag or other container for up to 3 days. You can also store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
To freeze these bagels, pre-slice the bagels and wrap individually in plastic wrap before placing in an airtight container in the freezer for up to one month. Any longer and they dry out too much. Thaw the bagels in the fridge overnight and warm before enjoying.
Want more gluten free breakfast ideas? Check these recipes out!
Did you make this recipe?
Soft + Chewy Gluten Free and Vegan Bagels
- 1 1/3 cup milk of choice I used rice milk, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 cups gluten free flour blend make sure potato free, see notes
- 3 tbsp gluten free flour blend with potato see notes
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 tbsp plain greek yogurt of choice
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp molasses
- extra flour for rolling out
- toppings as desired
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or in a stand mixer, combine brown sugar with yeast and warmed milk of choice. Milk should be around 100°F in temperature. Allow yeast to bloom for 10 minutes.
- After blooming, add yogurt and mix well.
- Now add dry ingredients of two types of gluten free flour blends, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low-medium until a dough ball forms.
- On a well floured surface, turn out dough and roll into rounded tablespoons. Gently poke finger in the middle of the ball to help form the bagel shape. Place onto parchment lined baking tray and repeat with remaining dough. Let rise one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F and prepare 2 or 3 baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large pot, combine 6 cups water with 2 tablespoons molasses. Bring to a boil.
- Drop bagels into boiling water and let cook for 45 seconds each side. Remove from water and onto tray where you can top with toppings if desired. As soon as possible, place bagels in the oven. Let bake for 25 minutes or until bagels reach an internal temperature of 195°F.
- Let cool and enjoy!