Delicately spiced chai latte cupcakes that are gluten free and vegan! Easy to make cake that is spiced with chai and topped in a creamy chai infused buttercream. Top 8 allergen free!
All your favorite chai latte flavors wrapped up into a light and fluffy cupcake? YES PLEASE!
These easy to make and delicious chai latte cupcakes are spiced with cinnamon, cardamon, ginger, and allspice to make a soft and fluffy cupcake perfect for tea time! Topped with a chai infused buttercream, this gluten free and vegan recipe is a sweet treat.
Free from: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, soy, sesame, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, corn, celery, and more
Full disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and you may view my full disclosure by clicking here.
Chai Latte Cupcakes
Easy to Make: These cupcakes come together pretty quickly and have three main components to them: Making the chai spice blend, the light and fluffy cupcakes, and the spiced buttercream frosting.
Flavor: Chai is one of my favorite things to drink all year long. I can’t start my day without a big mug of this tea! Infused with deep and warm notes, it’s a cozy way to start the day. In a cupcake, these flavors are perfect all year long.
Time: Depending on your favorite vanilla cake, this recipe can come together in as little as 10 minutes or less! The buttercream can be mixed up while the cupcakes are in the oven so as soon as they are cool, you can frost and start enjoying them.
How to Make
- Make the Chai Mix. This blend of simple spices from the pantry gives these cupcakes their name. Cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and allspice are blended together to go into the cupcake, the frosting, and to be sprinkled on top.
- Prepare the Vanilla Cake. Using your favorite vanilla cake recipe, add a teaspoon of your spice blend when you add in the baking powder. If you are using a boxed mix, add the spices directly to your dry mix. Make according to directions and let the cupcakes cool while you make the frosting.
- Mix up the Chai Buttercream Frosting. Starting with my favorite buttercream frosting recipe, we add more spices to this. I like to decorate all my cupcakes with a 1M Wilton tip, but you can really use any frosting technique you like, including just a big dollop on top with a spoon!
- Final touches. A sprinkle of extra cinnamon, a drizzle of caramel sauce, or nothing at all. It’s up to you!
Top cupcake tips
What I love best about this recipe is how easy it is to mix up! Here are some tips to make sure you get the best chai latte cupcakes possible.
Use high quality spices. Since this recipe is all about the spices, you want to make sure your spices are fresh and the best you can find. I personally love Saigon Cinnamon for the extra spicy kick it gives!
Don’t open the oven before 20 minutes. Cupcakes need that steam in the oven to help them rise, especially in allergy free baking. No matter how tempting it is, don’t peak until at least 20 minutes have passed!
Room temperature butter (be it dairy based or plant based) makes the best buttercream frosting. Ideally it will rest on the countertop for about an hour before you mix it up. But sometimes we forget to grab it. Just pop it in the microwave for 7 seconds, flip it over, and add another 5 seconds. Ta da! Room temperature butter in less than 15 seconds.
Want more Cake recipes? Check these out!
Did you make this recipe?
Chai Spice Mix
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp cardamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- 1 vanilla cake mix of your choice
- 2 tsp chai spice mix
Chai Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter of your choice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp chai spice mix
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the spices for the chai spice blend. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, make the vanilla cake of your choice. Add 2 teaspoons of chai spice mix to the dry ingredients. Bake according to directions. Let cool completely before frositng.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, or in a stand mixer, whip the butter and sugar together. Add 1 tsp of spice mix with vanilla extract. Mix on medium high until frosting is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Frost cupcakes and decorate as desired.
Chai Latte Cupcakes (gluten free + top 8 free!)