This gluten free lemon poppyseed cake is tender, moist, and totally delicious! Full of lemon flavor and poppyseeds, it’s perfect for brunch or dessert.
Lemon desserts are some of my favorites, and this gluten free lemon poppyseed cake is no exception! This cake is so tender with a great crumb – no gummy cakes here! It’s filled with lemon flavor and sweet little poppyseeds. The lemon glaze on top is the perfect finish to this cake. Enjoy it for breakfast, brunch, dessert, or anytime!
Plus, it has only 10 ingredients and simple instructions so you can easily make this whenever a lemon cake craving strikes!
Allergen note: If you are allergic to sesame seeds, it is possible that poppyseeds can cause a cross-reactivity in your body. If you are unsure, check with your doctor before enjoying this cake. You can simply omit the poppyseeds and enjoy this recipe (bonus tip! Swap out the poppyseeds for mini chocolate chips!)
Free from: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, fish, shellfish, soy, sesame, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, corn, celery, and more
Full disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and you may view my full disclosure by clicking here.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Cake
I love a quick cake to make and with only 10 ingredients and made in one bowl, this cake is so easy to make! Using a hand mixer or stand mixer makes this cake a breeze to whip up anytime. Even better? You can make it in several different forms including a bundt cake (as seen in this recipe), an 8×8 square, a 9×9 round, or even cupcakes! Baking instructions included below.
Lemons: Either a lemon or lemon extract will work in this recipe to bring that bright flavor to this cake.
Butter: Use plant based or dairy based butter in this recipe. This butter whips together with the sugar to create the airy texture of the cake. Make sure it is room temperature so you get the most light and fluffy cake possible!
Sugar: Granulated sugar makes things sweet, but with only a cup in this recipe, it isn’t too sweet. Making it perfect for brunch, if you ask me!
Eggs: You need 3 eggs to help give this cake the perfect amount of lift and structure without making it too bread like or gummy.
Milk: Opt for a lighter milk like 2% or rice milk when making. A heavier milk (such as coconut, oat, or whole) can be too dense for this light and airy cake.
Vanilla Extract: I know this is a lemon cake, but vanilla extract just adds a depth of flavor that is hard to beat in any baking project.
Baking Powder: Baking Powder is a leavener that provides an even rise to the cake.
Gluten Free Flours: I suggest a mixture of two different types of flour blends to get the best possible flavor and crumb: King Arthur Baking Mix and my own gluten free flour blend. This combo gives a light texture and isn’t gummy at all. If you want to only use one flour, feel free to just use either my own gluten free flour or all of the King Arthur Baking Mix. I haven’t tested this with any other flour at the time of writing.
Poppyseeds: Obviously we need poppyseeds in a poppyseed cake! I use about ¾ tsp for this recipe but feel free to add up to double that amount depending on how much you love poppyseeds. Don’t have any on hand? Feel free to omit them and enjoy the best lemon cake ever.
Making the Best Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Cake
Now, I know a lot of recipes out there say they are the best. But this one is truly up there and deserving of the name. Here are some tips to make sure yours turns out amazing every time.
If making in a stand mixer, first use the balloon whisk attachment to whisk together the butter and sugar. The whisk will incorporate the most air into the butter, making your final cake light and fluffy. Switch to a paddle attachment before adding the rest of the ingredients.
To give the cake a little extra zing, try replacing half of the butter with cream cheese. This will combine with the lemon so nicely and bring an even brighter flavor profile to the party!
Did you make this recipe?
Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Cake
- ½ cup butter of your choice room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk of choice room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free flour
- 1 tsp poppyseeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1-2 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. If making a bundt cake, generously spray with oil and set aside. If making a round cake, spray and line cake pan. If making cupcakes, add cupcake liners to tray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or in a stand mixer, whip butter of choice and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes on medium-high speed. Add eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next. Add vanilla and lemon extract.
- In a small bowl, sift together the gluten free flour, baking powder, and poppyseeds.
- Pour half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix together on low speed. Add half of the milk. Repeat with remaining flour and milk until none remains.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan of choice. If making cupcakes, fill each about ⅔ full.
- Bake in the oven until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before glazing. For a bundt pan: bake 38-40 minutes. For a 9-inch cake: bake 30-35 minutes. For cupcakes: bake 20-22 minutes.
- To make the lemon glaze, combine powdered sugar, lemon extract, and water in a small bowl. Mix and slowly pour over the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Let cool before slicing and serving.
Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Cake