A light and fluffy marshmallow frosting that is vegan and allergy friendly! Perfect to top all your cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and more. Easy to make and oh so delicious.
Free From: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks, celery, corn, sesame, mustard, lupin, sulfites, and more
This vegan marshmallow frosting recipe has become a standard frosting in my kitchen. It uses simple ingredients you can get at any grocery store and turns into the most luscious frosting. I love to use it as a filling in my cakes or as a secret filling in cupcakes, but I’ve also used it to frost entire cakes and cupcakes!
What’s great about this recipe is that it mixes up in one bowl and doesn’t require you to cook anything on the stove.
You can make this recipe with either marshmallow fluff or with melted vegan marshmallows, whichever is easier for you to find.
For butter, I like to use either dairy butter (if not allergic or avoiding) or Earth Balance Baking Sticks. I think they provide the best flavor. Earth Balance also makes a soy free plant-based butter that works fantastically in all frosting recipes.
How to Make Vegan Marshmallow Frosting.
Set your plant-based butter out on the countertop for 30-45 minutes so it can soften to room temperature.
To make the melted marshmallow version, start by combining the marshmallows and 1 spoon of oil in the microwave and melt for 30-45 seconds. Mix until smooth.
Whip the plant-based butter and shortening in the bowl with a hand mixer, or in a stand mixer, until they are light and fluffy. Add the marshmallow, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Mix on high until done, about 5-6 minutes.
The resulting frosting should be light, fluffy, creamy, and perfect to pipe in a bag or spread on a cake with a spoon.
Store finished desserts in the fridge to keep the frosting cool so it won’t melt all over the place. Remove any desserts from the fridge for 10 minutes before serving for the best slice.
Want more recipes on what you can use with this marshmallow frosting recipe? Here are some ideas!
Zebra Cakes copycat recipe (vegan, gluten free, top 8 free)
S’mores Cake (vegan, gluten free, top 8 free)
- ⅔ cup marshmallow fluff OR melted vegan marshmallows
- ½ cup plant-based butter
- 4 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk of choice optional
- Combine the plant based butter and vegetable shortening in a large bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer. Whip together for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the marshmallows vanilla, and sugar. Whip again for another 4-5 minutes or until doubled in size. If frosting is too thick, you can add milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost immediately. Keep cakes or cupcakes in the fridge to best preserve the frosting. Can also keep in an airtight container if not using right away for up to 3 days.