Learn how to make the PERFECT gluten free flatbread! Great as an appetizer, pizza crust, or snack. Only 7 Ingredients! Easy to make and delicious.
What makes a good gluten free flatbread? It needs to be quick, easy to make, and taste delicious. This recipe has all three rolled into one! Plus, it can be made dairy free with one small change which makes it even more accessible. This recipe is so good my gluten-eating family and friends can’t tell a difference.
If you’ve never made gluten free breads before, this flatbread recipe is a great place to start! It requires only 7 ingredients, is easy to put together, and cooks up beautifully in a cast iron pan or on the griddle.
After mixing all the ingredients up, you let it rise for one hour. Then, roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper and place onto the pan. Easy as that!
Flatbread makes the perfect base for so many other recipes like hummus, falafel, pizza crust, or as a side dish to any meal!
Free From: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks, celery, corn, sesame, mustard, lupin, sulfites, and more
Gluten Free Flatbread Ingredients
7 simple ingredients combine into this easy to make bread!
Yeast - Helps this recipe rise and develop flavor.
Sugar - Feeds the yeast and gives it that sweetness that wheat breads usually have.
Egg - Binds the dough together and helps develop flavor and color.
Yogurt - Brings flavor and texture to the bread. I use a plain Greek Yogurt in this recipe for best results. Use your plant-based yogurt of choice if avoiding dairy.
Baking Powder - Helps the flatbread rise.
Gluten Free Flour - The base of this recipe. Use your favorite, or check out my recipe for nightshade free Gluten Free Flour.
Salt - To help the final flavor of this recipe.
Warm Water - Do we need to count water as an ingredient? Okay, technically there are 8 ingredients if you count water.
How to Make Gluten Free Flatbread
Begin by making your proofed yeast. Combine warm water and sugar with the yeast, give it a mix, and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. You want your yeast mixture to get very bubbly and double or triple in size! If your yeast does nothing, that means it is old and you need to throw it out and begin again.
Make sure that the water is not too hot - around 100-110F is ideal. Anything hotter will kill the yeast and anything cooler won’t be ideal proofing conditions.
After it has proofed, stir in your egg, yogurt, baking powder, and flour. Mix to combine into a slightly tacky dough.
Let the dough rest in a warm spot in your house for about an hour. Make sure to cover it up with a towel to help it rise!
Once it has risen, it’s time to divide the dough up into 8 equal pieces.
Heat your cast iron skillet or griddle to medium heat.
Gently press the flatbread into desired shapes (I went with ovals, but you could do circles as well) between two sheets of lightly oiled parchment paper. Transfer it to the pan and let cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
Want to make a sandwich? Make sure to check out my Gluten Free and Vegan Falafel recipe that is free from the top 8 allergens!
Allergy Variations for Flatbread
To make this Dairy Free: Swap out the yogurt for your favorite non-dairy yogurt of choice. Try to stick with plain flavored varieties. Depending on the style of yogurt you choose, you may need to add more flour to the dough.
Can I make this egg free? I haven’t personally tried this with no egg, but I imagine a flax or chia egg would work similarly. The flatbread dough might need more flour to help bring it all together. If you try this, please let me know how it works!
For a yeast free and vegan flatbread recipe, make sure you check out my Sweet Potato Flatbread recipe!
- ½ teaspoon yeast
- ¼ cup warm water, about 100F
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour mix
- sprinkle of salt
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the yeast with sugar and warm water. Cover with a warm towel and set aside in a warm spot of your kitchen for 10 minutes to proof.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the egg and yogurt together. Add the proofed yeast and mix to combine. Now add the baking powder, salt, and gluten free flour. Knead until a tacky ball forms. Cover with a towel and let rest in the bowl for one hour or until doubled in size.
- After rising, divide the dough into 8-10 equal portions. Preheat the cast iron skillet or a griddle to medium heat.
- Between two sheets of parchment paper, gently place the dough ball and shape into a flatbread. Peel it off of the parchment and place the bread onto the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until each side is evenly cooked. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Optional: When removed from the pan, you can brush melted butter or olive oil mixed with garlic and herbs for a garlic flatbread! Also try sprinkling cinnamon sugar on top when removed from the pan for a sweet treat.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe?