Gooey and crispy gluten free mozzarella sticks that are baked in the oven to a golden perfection. Perfect snack for after school or game day!
Unlike the kind that you find in the freezer section of your store, these are baked and not fried, making them ever so slightly healthier. They are just as crispy and delicious on the outside when baked with that ooey gooey pull apart cheese on the inside. Not to mention, they are perfectly dunkable in your favorite sauces.
Free From: wheat, gluten, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks, celery, corn, sesame, mustard, lupin, sulfites, and more
Making Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks Better
There are two things that really make a good homemade gluten free mozzarella stick: Breadcrumbs and the freezer.
The breadcrumbs that I am using in this recipe are by the brand Aleia, a gluten free company that makes my favorite brand of breadcrumbs. These are the Italian Seasoning variety, giving them a nostalgic flavor. For this recipe, I used just over half of the container of breadcrumbs, about 7 oz.
The most important thing to make these gluten free mozzarella sticks sing is to freeze the cheese sticks before you coat them AND after you coat them! Freezing the cheese before breading, then freezing again after, you are ensuring that the cheese stays inside the coating. If you don’t do this step, your cheese will melt all over the place.
How to Store Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks
Best served immediately after baking. The longer they sit the more the cheese will set up. Still delicious, but not as gooey. To reheat, pop them back in the oven at 350 F until they are heated through.
To store them, you can keep them in the freezer after breading and these will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, if not longer. My family usually eats them up before that point!
- 1 pack string mozzarella sticks, cut into halves
- 2/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 7 oz Aleia Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- Spray oil, optional
- Halve your mozzarella sticks and place them in the freezer for a minimum of 90 minutes.
- Place your flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Put down a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- One-by-one, first coat the cheese stick in flour. Next dip in the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs. Now time to double dip back into the eggs and back into the breadcrumbs.
- Place each breaded mozzarella stick onto the baking sheet. When finished breading, pop the whole tray back in the oven until ready to use, or at least for 90 more minutes.
- To bake, preheat your oven to 405°F / 210°C.
- Bake the desired number of gluten free mozzarella sticks from frozen for between 10-12 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of at least 165°F / 80° C. To make then extra crispy, you can spray a tiny amount of cooking oil onto the mozzarella sticks before baking. Best served immediatly.
The nutritional information on this website is only an estimate and is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.