This vegan vanilla buttercream frosting is so light and fluffy and filled with vanilla flavor that you won’t believe this is okay for you to eat. It’s that good!
Does this recipe take a long time to make? Yes. But the majority of it is watching your stand mixer or hand mixer do all the work, so you have lots of time to scroll through Instagram or Pinterest while whipping this up.
This recipe needs to be done with the assistance of a mixer because you are going to let the butter itself whip for 5 minutes in the bowl. Yes! That long! You are incorporating air into the butter that will not only give it the best consistency possible, you are also changing the color to white.
Allergy Info and Variations
- Gluten free, Vegan, Top 14 allergen free
- Want to adjust the flavor? Start by swapping out the vanilla extract for your flavor of choice (lemon, almond, and peppermint are all good places to start!).
- Want to make chocolate frosting? Pop over here for the recipe!
The Best Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter I like Earth Balance, but almost any butter will work here
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla make sure it is gluten free if you need to!
- 1-3 tbsp milk of your choice this is to thin to the right consistency
- Place the softened butter in your mixer and whip for 5 minutes. You will know it is ready when the color has changed from a golden yellow to almost white.
- Add your sugar in 2 batches, incorporating well after each addition.
- After the second addition of sugar, add your vanilla.
- Whip on high again for at least 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of your bowl as needed to make sure everything is combined. If frosting is too thick, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency.
I hope that you enjoy this amazing vegan vanilla buttercream recipe! If you make this, remember to tag me on Instagram @livingbeyondallergies and use the hashtag #livingbeyondallergies so I can see it! I love to share your creations!