This easy and kid approved chicken and rice soup is perfect for a cold day and makes for a great weeknight meal.
This kid approved chicken and rice soup is just what your mom tells you to eat when you feel under the weather, and is just plain delicious! It’s the soup you make when you are feeling a little tired after a long day and just need a big bowl of comfort, or maybe you take a pot of it over to someone who needs a little extra love.
Not to mention this soup is so easy to put together that the hardest part will be waiting for it to finish cooking!
Free From: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks, celery, corn, sesame, mustard, lupin, sulfites, and more
Kid Approved Chicken Soup
Whenever I was sick as a kid, my mom would make a huge pot of this to make me feel better. As a kid, I remember loving it because it was simple and easy to eat. No weird ingredients or things I didn’t like. Simple and good food to help me heal.
And it turns out mom was right! Studies have shown that a big bowl of chicken and rice soup helps to clear nasal passages and ease congestion in the face and chest.
The chicken is filled with protein and vitamin B to help the immune system as it fights off a cold. It also is filled with serotonin to that makes your brain just “feel good” and gives you that nostalgic comfort. The veggies are loaded with vitamin C and K, as well as other antioxidants and minerals. The carrots are full of beta-carotene which can help with symptoms as it has anti-inflammatory properties. And finally, the rice is a simple carb that is easy to digest and helps fuel your body as it fights off your cold.
Cook the Rice on the Side
My mom always cooked a big pot of rice on the side to add to each bowl separately. This prevented the rice from absorbing all the broth. When you add cooked rice to the soup, it hardly absorbs any broth, making sure you get a bowl of soup and not just rice! You can cook your rice in the same pot if you prefer, just add a bit more broth to compensate.
No matter if you’re under the weather or just looking for a yummy kid approved soup, this chicken and rice soup will hit the spot!
Did you make this recipe?
- 1 whole chicken, fresh
- 1 whole sweet onion, quartered
- 1 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 bouillon cubes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place your chicken in your largest pot and fill with water. Make sure the water reaches one inch over the chicken.
- Add the onion, carrot, parsnip, bouillon cubes, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Let the soup boil over medium flame for up to two hours. Check with the thermometer to make sure the chicken is cooked. The longer you let this cook, the more tender the chicken will become, and the more nutritious the broth. Add your parsley in the final 10 minutes of cooking.
- In a separate pot, make your white rice.
- When finished, remove chicken from the pot and cut up for each bowl. You can strain the soup if desired. Serve hot and top with rice and more fresh parsley.