One bowl gluten free vegan banana bread that is easy to make, soft, super moist, and delicious. Top 8 allergen free options.
Can gluten free and vegan banana bread be dreamy? Asking because for the past month I have been making this gluten free vegan banana bread about once a week and my family LOVES it! Even the ones who always told me, “I just don’t like banana bread” are grabbing slices for breakfast or snacks. It’s that good, y’all.
Everyone should have a go-to banana bread recipe. Since becoming allergic to wheat, I have been experimenting with making a perfect gluten free version. It needs to be moist and heavy and fill you up, but it can’t be dense or flat. The bread needs to have lift. The biggest challenge was to make this bread not be gummy like gluten free breads often are. Not to mention great flavor from the bananas and the options of other spices added in if you like spicy banana bread (hint: I love spicy banana bread).
Friends, this bread is just about as perfect as a gluten free banana bread can be. It is easy to make in just one bowl. The bread is soft and moist but has a great lift to the loaf to look impressive on the plate. Not to mention it is just delicious.
Gluten Free and Vegan Banana Bread Ingredients
The ingredients for this yummy banana bread start out with the bananas. You want about 4 or 5 of them and the more spotted they are the better they will be. I like to have mine turn super freckle-y before making it. The darker the banana the higher the level of fructose in the fruit which means you need less sugar to get a sweet bread.
The remaining ingredients are all pantry staples of things you (probably) have on hand, such as eggs (chicken egg or flax egg), brown sugar, vanilla, and what ever type of mix-ins you want (or happen to have in the pantry). But! This bread is amazing on its own so don’t feel like you need to add a mix-in to make this. Some ideas to make it extra special include:
- Chocolate chips
- Extra cinnamon
How to Make this Banana Bread
Start by mashing your bananas in a medium sized bowl. You can use a fork, potato masher, or any other combination of mashing equipment you have in your house. Try to make sure that no lumps remain from the mashed bananas, but a few are okay. If you are having trouble mashing, adding a few spoonfuls of the melted butter can help it go easier.
That said, melt your butter. Add the melted butter to the bananas as well as the eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar. Give it a good mix before adding the dry ingredients.
Time to add the dry ingredients. You can mix the dry ingredients together in a separate small mixing bowl, or you can add them to the big bowl with your wet ingredients. Both methods work to make this banana bread, and one of them requires one less bowl for baking, so you know which one I choose!
Add the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, milk powder (if using), and spices.
Give the batter a good mix so it all comes together and making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl so it is all incorporated.
Transfer the batter to your prepared pan, sprinkle the top with the raw sugar, and pop in the oven for between 50 – 60 minutes. You will know it is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes away clean.
Let the bread cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing.
Slice and enjoy!
Looking for more gluten free recipes? Make sure you check these out!
Allergy Variations for Gluten Free and Vegan Banana Bread
The recipe that I write down here calls for melted butter and 2 eggs. For the melted butter, you can easily swap out for melted earth balance to make a dairy free version and the results will be just as good.
To swap out the eggs, I would recommend that you add 2 flax eggs for the moisture and binding qualities and add an extra 1 teaspoon of baking powder for the leavening qualities.
I hope you love this bread as much as I do!
Did you make this recipe?
Gluten Free Vegan Banana Bread
- 4-5 bananas, mashed
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend I like using Krustez in this mix
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, omit if flour blend contains this already
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs of choice see note!
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk powder, omit if vegan
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 3 dashes cloves
- 2 tbsp raw sugar for sprinkling on top
- Adjust oven rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F / 177°C. Grease an 8.5×4.5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In your bowl, mash your bananas. It helps to add the melted butter to make the mashing go quicker. When no large lumps of banana remains, add your eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Now add your gluten free flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, milk powder (if using), salt, and spices. Using a spatula, stir until thuroughly combined and no lumps remain, about 1 minute. Transfer batter to prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining sugar on top before baking.
- Bake the banana bread for between 50 minutes to one hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the loaf pan. After removing, let the bread rest for one hour before serving.