Gluten Free chicken pot pie that is filled with flavor! Rich creamy broth and fresh veggies come together in a savory crust. Top 8 allergy free. Simple and delicious!
Chicken pot pie is a classic comfort food. It is even better when it is made from simple ingredients from. your pantry and freezer. This gluten free chicken pot pie satisfies on all fronts! A light and flaky crust wraps around a rich and creamy filling that is deliciously spiced.
Bonus?? You can make this pot pie with any type of meat! Chicken, turkey, or even no meat at all!!
While I made it family style in a large 9×12 glass pan, you could make these in small ramekins for personal pot pies, make them in two 8×8 pans and eat one and freeze the other for another dinner, the options are really endless.
Free From: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, coconut, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, mollusks, celery, corn, sesame, mustard, lupin, sulfites, and more
Making a Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie
There are 3 main stages to assembly for this pie: Crust, filling, and baking.
Start with your pie crust. If you need a delicious allergy friendly pie crust, I gotcha! This one comes together in about 10 minutes in a food processor or bowl and you don’t have to chill it before rolling it out. That’s a win-win in my dinner book. If you want, feel free to use a purchased pie crust to save even more time. Just make sure it is safe for you to enjoy!
Next comes the filling. If you are using leftover chicken, simple shred and set aside. If you need to make some chicken for this meal, place your chicken (fresh or frozen) into a pot of water and boil until done. The time will depend on how much chicken you are making.
In a large sauté pan over a medium flame, add your onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add your chicken (or vegetable) broth to the pan to deglaze. Add carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, herbs and spices. Let cook for another 15 or so minutes, or until you can push a fork through a carrot.
Now add the liquid to make the sauce that makes this chicken pot pie so good! In a measuring cup, combine your milk of choice with the gluten free flour blend and give it a good mix. Add this to the pan and mix everything really well. The filling should come together in about 5 minutes!
Finally, the baking. After the filling is made, roll out your pie crust and place in a baking dish of your choice. Fill with the filling. Cover with your second layer of pie crust. Brush with egg wash, or milk of choice, to help develop a golden color.
Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving!
Allergy Variations on a Chicken Pot Pie
One of the biggest questions about chickens revolve around egg allergies. If you are allergic to eggs, yes, you can eat chicken. The egg allergy is related to the egg protein which is absent in the chicken.
To replace the milk, use your favorite non-dairy milk of choice. Oat milk and almond milk would work great in this recipe. To replace the butter, you can use your favorite butter alternative, or even something like canola or olive oil to sauté your onion.
If you can eat wheat, feel free to swap out this crust for your personal favorite. Just make sure to add the thyme and parsley into your crust as it makes it extra special!
Final note about cooking allergy friendly. Make sure that your broth is safe for you to eat. Some contain gluten, soy, or dairy. Always check the label on your stock or any thing you eat to make sure it is safe!
Pot Pie Filling
- 1.5 lbs frozen chicken of choice, cooked and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup butter of your choice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed veggies of your choice
- 2 tsp corn starch
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend or white rice flour
- 2 gluten free pie crusts
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Make sure you have 2 gluten free pie crusts and 3 cups of cooked chicken (or turkey) ready to go.
- In a large saute pan, place butter and onion. Cook until onion is transparant, about 5 minutes. Add stock, carrots, sweet potatoes, and herbs and spices. Mix well and let cook for about 15 minuts, or until the carrots are pierced with a fork.
- Now add the milk of your choice with the gluten free flour. Mix everything well and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Add the chicken and stir.
- Roll out and cover the bottom of a pie pan. Pour filling inside, making sure that it is evenly distributed. Roll out and cover the pie with another pie shell. Slice small vents into the pie crust to prevent it exploding! Decorate as desired, if you wish. You can brush with an egg wash or milk of your choice to aid in browning.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until crust is a deep golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.