Flourless double chocolate cookies that are somewhere in between a cookie and brownie, these cookies are naturally gluten and dairy free!
Are they a cookie? Are they a brownie? These are what I’m choosing to call Brownie Pillows! They are the little love child of a cookie and brownie, falling somewhere in between.
Chewy, tender, and decadent, these flourless double chocolate cookies can be topped one of two ways: Sprinkle of sea salt or a healthy coating of powdered sugar.
What’s nice about these flourless double chocolate cookies is that they are naturally gluten and dairy free. Similar to brownies, these cookies get their structure from the eggs and not the flour. The cocoa powder is acting as our stand in for flour in this recipe, and while it doesn’t have the same protein power of gluten, it does help the dough become more “cookie-like”.
Flourless Double Chocolate Cookie Tips
First off, these cookies are STICKY!
Do yourself a favor and use a hand or stand mixer to make them. The first time I tried to do these by hand and my arm was as tired as doing a 45 minute workout! No joke! Use the mixer and save your biceps for your workout later this week.
It can be difficult to tell when they are finished baking thanks to the double chocolate. I tend to aim for a slightly underbaked cookie. They are filled with tons of chocolate chunks and chips, and just like eggs and steak, they will carry over the heat out of the oven and continue to bake on the cookie sheet. If you are worried about temperature and safety, you want to bake them until they reach an internal temperature of 160F / 72C.
Finally, these flourless double chocolate cookies will retain any shape that you first put them in. To make these, I scooped a heaping tablespoon into my hands, rolled them into a ball, and then flattened with my hands before setting them on the tray. I’ve also done these as pure drop cookies and they turn into little brownie meringues. While I haven’t tried to shape them or pipe them, I think you could even do that to get seasonal shapes.
Did you make this recipe?
Flourless Double Chocolate Cookies
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- Coarse salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Place your oven rack in the center of the oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In your mixing bowl using the paddle attachment, lightly whisk your eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together your powdered sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the eggs in small batches, incorporating well after each addition. Add the chocolate chunks and mix until fully incorporated. Your mixer might hate you for making it work so hard but these cookies are worth it. The batter will be very thick and sticky.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough into desired shape. Either drop onto prepared baking sheet or roll in your hands and slightly flatten before placing on baking sheet. If topping with salt, sprinkle now.
- Bake the cookies, one tray at a time, until they are set around the edges and cracked in the middle, around 10-12 minutes. My oven runs slow so they took 13 minutes. Just watch them. Remember, they might look slightly underbaked and that's okay! Cool them on the sheets. If topping with powdered sugar, let cool completely before sprinkling.