These easy to make gluten free blueberry muffins are so delicious thanks to the fresh berries and lemon zest! Soft, moist, and bursting with flavor, these muffins are vegan and free of the top 8 allergens. Sprinkled with raw sugar on top, these make a delicious breakfast or healthy snack!
Dairy Free – These muffins are easily made dairy free by simply swapping out the butter and milk for your favorite plant based alternative.
Egg Free – To make this muffin recipe egg free, make 1 flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flax with 3 tablespoons of almost boiling water. Mix and set aside for 5 minutes to get gelatinous. Add an additional 1/2 tsp baking soda to the mix as well.
Gluten Free – For this recipe I used my own gluten free flour blend that is made from rice flours, oat flours, and other super simple ingredients. If you have an all-purpose gluten free flour blend, feel free to use that in place of my own mix.
Want more Gluten Free Breakfast Ideas? Here are some of my favorites
Tips for Making Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
- Sprinkle with raw sugar on top before baking for the perfect sparkly and sweet crust!
- If you want the best looking muffins, save a few from mixing in the dough. Before baking, press a few blueberries right on top of your muffins so you get a beautiful berry right on top!
- As with most gluten free baked goods, I like to let my dough rest for 5 minutes before baking so that the rice flours have time to absorb some moisture before baking. It gives it a much better texture after baking!
Should you use Fresh or Frozen Blueberries?
I use both! Whichever you have on hand will make a delicious muffin.
If using fresh blueberries, they will tend to pop open more in baking, making the dough around them flavored blueberry as well. I don’t mind this at all as fresh blueberries in a muffin are delicious.
If using frozen blueberries, you do not need to thaw them before using. Simply use right from the freezer and into your muffin mix.
Did you make this recipe?
Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins (vegan + top 8 free!)
- 2 cups gluten free flour mix
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt if your plant-based butter has a lot of salt, can omit this extra salt
- 1/2 cup butter, plant-based or dairy
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, chicken or flax
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk, plant-based or dairy
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp lemon zest optional, but so delicious!
- 1/4 cup raw sugar for dusting, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F / 177°C. Line or lightly grease a muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, or in your stand mixer, combine your butter and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add your eggs, one at a time, as well as your vanilla. Mix well. Add your lemon zest now if using.
- Add your baking powder and one cup of gluten free flour. Mix, then add milk. Add the remaining cup of flour. Now add the blueberries. I like to mix these in by hand at the end to make sure they are evenly distributed through the dough.
- Spoon your muffin dough into the prepared muffin tin. Fill your muffin tin about 2/3 full per cup. Top each muffin with the sugar, if using.
- Bake the blueberry muffins for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let rest in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before gently removing the muffins to a cooling rack. Enjoy!