Apple snack cake that is gluten free and dairy free! Great for snack time, packed in lunches, or as a light dessert. Filled with apple flavor and so easy to make with only 8 ingredients!
Have you ever had an apple snack cake or snacking cake before?
The snack cake is typically a one-bowl cake that is less fancy than other cakes making it easy to slice and enjoy in the afternoon with a glass of milk or tea. Traditionally, they have no frosting or only a light drizzle of one (as this apple snack cake has!). They are lighter and more fluffy than a brownie and made in a simple 8×8 pan.
This apple snack cake is all these things. Made in one bowl and with simple ingredients, this cake is so easy to prepare as a treat after school or for an afternoon dessert. It also makes a great light cake for after dinner or for a brunch!
Basically, this snack cake is kinda perfect and I can’t wait for you to make it.
Best Apples to Use for Cake
For this cake I used gala apples for their sweeter flavor that kept its shape but would get soft while baking. You can use a more tart apple for this just like you would for apple pie, if that is more your style. Some of my favorite apples to use in this cake are:
- Granny Smith
This cake is easily made dairy free with one simple swap of ingredients.
To make it dairy free: Use your favorite non-dairy butter in place of cow butter. My personal favorite is the soy free Earth Balance.
Can you make this egg free? I’m sure you can, though I have not tried it this way. I would recommend making one flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons hot water) and adding an additional 1/2 tsp baking powder.
Want more fall time recipes? Check these out!
How to Make Apple Snacking Cake
Begin by preparing your 8×8 pan with a little spray oil so that it doesn’t stick. Warm up your oven.
Next, roughly chop your apples. I had 3 small apples that almost perfectly equal 2 cups after chopping. If you have large apples, you might only need 1 or 2 apples. Chop them up and set aside.
In a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl with your hand mixer, whip your butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy. You want to make sure the butter has almost doubled in size and turned almost white in color. This is important for baking things gluten free as the air is incorporated into the batter at every step.
Add the egg, baking powder, and cinnamon and mix well. Keep everything fluffy.
Now add the flour. You only need one cup!
Finally, add the apples. Mix to combine. You might be tempted to add more moisture to the dough at this point but you don’t need to! The apples will release some juice while cooking, ensuring a moist and delicious cake.
Transfer the batter to your pan and pop it in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
Let it cool before dusting with powdered sugar or drizzling with a simple icing.
Did you make this recipe?
Apple Snack Cake
- 1/2 cup butter (plant-based or dairy)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (flax or chicken)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups apples, chopped 3 small or 1-2 medium/large
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan and set aside.
- Chop up your apples. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer, combine your butter of choice and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Now add the flour to the batter. Mix it in well. Finally add the chopped apples. Do not worry if the batter looks a little dry, it will get some juice from the apples as it bakes!
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar or drizzling with a simple icing. To make a simple icing, mix the powdered sugar with water. Drizzle over cake.
- To store, keep on the countertop for 2 days, in the fridge for 4 days, or in the freezer wrapped well for 2 months. Enjoy!
Make all your favorites recipes again with this guide to swapping out food allergies. Includes over 55 different ideas!