A light + sweet apple coffee cake that goes perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning! Perfect brunch food. Gluten free + vegan + top 14 free.
What do you get if you combine a cinnamon roll with an apple snack cake? This amazing apple coffee cake recipe! A light and slightly sweet yeasted dough is topped with apples and a streusel topping that makes for the BEST coffee/tea cake. Eat it for breakfast. Enjoy it as a snack. Sneak the last slice for dessert. You’ll love this cake.
Free From: Wheat/gluten, dairy, casein, eggs, peanut, tree nuts, coconut, soy, sesame, sulfites, lupin, fish, shellfish, mustard
This recipe was inspired by a similar cake my friend Jacqui made over at the Simple Sprinkle!
How to Make an Apple Coffee Cake
This recipe takes a little bit of time to make, but nothing you can’t handle which sipping on a large mug of coffee or tea!
Begin by proofing your yeast in the warm milk. Make sure the milk isn’t too warm – somewhere around 100F should be good. Set it aside for 10 minutes until the yeast mixture is proofed. If nothing happened, the yeast went bad or the milk was too hot.
After proofing your yeast, mix the sugar, egg of choice, and milk mixture together. Use a medium sized bowl with a hand mixer, or a stand mixer. Add the flour and the salt, mixing well.
Need a good gluten free flour blend? Make sure you check out my homemade gluten free flour blend that uses no potatoes or nightshades!
Finally, add the butter, making sure to mix well. A wet dough should form. Cover and let rest in a warm spot of your kitchen for about an hour.
Just before the dough has finished resting, preheat your oven to 350F. Using a springform pan, gently press the dough into shape.
Now, chop up a few apples. Depending on the size of the apples, you’ll either want one large or 2-3 small. Chop them into bite sized cubes and sprinkle evenly over the dough.
The same rules for apple pie apply to this apple coffee cake: You want an apple that is slightly sweet and tart. Some of my favorite apples for this include:
- Honeycrisp (my favorite!)
- Golden Delicious
Finally, let’s make the streusel topping!
Combine the flour, sugar, butter, oil, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well until a crumbly mixture forms. Sprinkle all over the apples, making sure to evenly coat.
Pop the cake uncovered into the oven for 40-45 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing into it!
Can dust with powdered sugar after for the perfect sweet finish.
Allergy Variations for Apple Cake
Dairy free: Use your favorite dairy free butter. My personal favorite is the soy free Earth Balance.
Egg free: Make a flax egg by combining 2 tbsp of ground flax with 5 tbsp of almost boiling water. Mix and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the flax to become gelatinous.
Corn free: Ensure your powdered sugar is cornstarch free or simply omit from using.
How to Store the Cake
This coffee cake can rest covered on the countertop for up to 3 days before drying out. Kept in the fridge, it keeps for about the same. Can be frozen after baking and will last for up to 3 months. Make sure you allow to come to room temperature before enjoying.
Did you make this recipe?
Apple Coffee Cake
- 9-inch Springform Pan
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup milk of choice, warmed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg of choice
- 1/4 cup butter of choice, cubed and room temperature
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- sprinkle salt
- 2 apples, diced
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter of choice, softened
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- dash cinnamon and salt
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast with warmed milk. Cover and let proof for 10 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer, stir together the milk mixutre with sugar and egg until combined. Add the flour and salt. Finally, add in the butter. The dough should be soft and not shaggy at all. Cover and let rest for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Get your 9-inch spring form pan and set it aside.
- Prepare your apples by chopping into bite sized pieces. Set aside. Make the streusel toppinig by mixing together the flour, sugar, butter, oil, cinnamon, and salt. The dough should be crumbly and resemble sand. Set aside.
- In your spring form pan, place the risen dough. Gently press it into shape, making sure to cover the entire bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the apples over the dough, making sure to cover the dough. Finally, sprinkle the streusel topping on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
Apple Coffee Cake (gluten free, top 14 free, and vegan!)